Labels

Wednesday 8 October 2014

The secret life of a student in a student group



Hey all you newbies,

if you are in your first year of uni, you probably don’t have any friends (boo hoo). You are lost with all the uni assignments and you try your very best to get great results. Well guess what, you need more than just your HDs to land yourself a job. You need to be build communication skills, be able to work in a team and organisation skills. If you are already good at it, well done, go pat yourself on the shoulder (i was being sarcastic) this post is for those who don’t have these skills, if you do stop reading (jks I still want you to read the post) 

I've been a part of student groups since I was in my first year, before which I was a loner, who spent most of my time playing Tetris in the computer labs and asking my friends to send me ‘energy’. It is key that when one looks around during O week to find student groups, they need to consider a variety of things such as the benefits that society offers such as food, stationary, candy, discounts, friends and even if there was that hot chick who was promoting a student society and you had no idea what she said but you ended up paying the $10 joining fee and later realise where the fuck did my money go? and since when do i have 50 unread emails from the dark arts society? who the hell joins that? jk I don’t judge.

I was with a friend during Mac-fest and he was mentioning that we should join this society called AIESEC. I always loved volunteering and helping the less fortunate ever since I was young; and I joined AIESEC thinking I had the opportunity to go to Africa, build a well and fulfil my lifelong dream of saving at least seven people. YES only seven. (I know right? WTF was I thinking?) (and yes, I was young and naïve, also did i mention i also wanted to be a Pope.. but that can be a story for another blog post! #PLEASEFOLLOW). However, instead of going on exchange, I was volunteering soooo much of my gawd damn time to send others overseas (don’t worry guys, I might go exchange someday #pleasesponsorme).
AIESEC’s vision is “Peace and fulfilment of humankind’s potential” like what the hell does that mean? They try to achieve this by creating responsible leaders? hahaha bitch please. nah but once you’re in it, you do see how it create leadership and all they links starts to tie up and its like you have an epiphany.  


 
Here’s some dancing for the LOLs. Yea they do a lot of that… it’s kind of awkward at first but you just get into it and just follow everyone because even though you probably look retarded, the person next to you looks more of a retard. So #Yolo

Most student groups you become part of it by paying a membership fee between $5 and $20. AIESEC was a different story altogether, it felt like I was applying for a job with the long application process which included a resume, online application, interview, group interview and finally, induction.

Long story short, if you join a student group such as AIESEC you get out of it as much as you put in. When I applied I was required a minimum of 8 hours a week however you end up putting way more than that is required as it doesn’t feel like a chore [and you score a few lifelong friends along the way]


-Tharinda

No comments:

Post a Comment